POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...ground glass?); : Re: some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...ground glass?); Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...ground glass?);
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 25 Apr 2000 19:28:53
Message: <39062a35@news.povray.org>
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom...
| On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 21:30:49 +0200, Wolfgang Illmeyer wrote:
| >
| >I'd like to produce some kind of street lamp, but it has some special kind
| >of glass (somebody said 'ground glass', but I'm still not sure, if it's the
| >right name), I can't produce...
|
| 'round here, we call that frosted glass.  It's not that easy to get right
| in POV, but you can fake it with either media (tricky, and prone to failure)
| or a very small normal pattern with heavy nonadaptive antialiasing.

Using a low enough filter value along with a little transmit can do okay along with
the normal (I almost always use granite for that) so long as the pigment color is
white
enough.  Can even go over rgb 1 as in rgbft <1.5,1.5,1.5,0.25,0.125> for example.
Then of course for the normal to do it's stuff you need a ior and specular highlight.
You'll certainly find that things will change dramatically when the camera and/or
light are moved. So it can often be a case of adjusting for one viewpoint.

Bob